Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Week 6 Living as a Felon

Everyone has obstacles they have to overcome in daily and long term life.  None more so than people with felonies.  I, unfortunately, fall into that category. 

Felon has an extremely negative connotation, understandably because of the murderers, rapists, etc.  Not all felonies are that severe.  I made a stupid mistake when I was eighteen and it will follow me for the rest of my life.  My career will greatly be affected by this.

When applying for a job, a felon could have the exact same qualifications as another applicant and still not get the job for the simple fact they messed up in their past.  Felons have to go way above and beyond for a very long time after their crime just to make an impression.  I am looking for a career in the chemistry field, and my options have become limited because of my horrible decision years ago. 

I think that employers and the state should focus more on what the crime actually was, not just that there was one.

1 comment:

  1. That is an incredibly frustrating thing to have to deal with. Hopefully, you will find an employer willing to give you a chance, after that your work ethic can speak for itself. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete